Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) is a radiological procedure to examine the patency of the fallopian tubes and contour of the endometrial cavity. It involves trans-cervical injection of radiopaque dye with fluoroscopy. The procedure can cause uterine cramping, so patients may find it helpful to take a dose of ibuprofen prior.
HSG has good sensitivity and specificity for detecting fallopian tube pathology. HSG is less accurate when it comes to endometrial lesions. Confirmatory tests can be done when HSG reports the possibility of endometrial polyps, adhesions or submucosal fibroids. These include sonohysterography (SHG) and hysteroscopy. Both of these tests are routinely performed by the fertility doctors at PCRM. Uterine pathology such as bicornuate or septate uterus are sometimes picked up by HSG. Differentiation between these diagnoses requires 3D ultrasound, MRI or concurrent laparoscopy/hysteroscopy. We offer specialized 3D ultrasound at the PCRM Main Office in British Columbia.
HSG involves breaching the endocervix with the HSG catheter. If the patient has risk factors for post-procedure infection, such as prior pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) or hydrosalpinges, then antibiotic prophylaxis is recommended. Doxycycline 100mg PO BID for 3 – 5 days beginning the day before the procedure is a common regimen.
In British Columbia and Alberta many x-ray facilities require the patient to have a pregnancy test before the procedure. Consideration may also be given to pre-procedure screening for chlamydia and gonorrhea. A list of facilities offering HSG is below.
- Laurel Radiology (604-879-7726) – #106-888 W. 8th Ave., Vancouver
- UBC Hospital – Koerner Pavillion (604-822-1799) – 2211 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver
- Royal Columbian Hospital (604-520-4642) – 330 E. Columbia St, New Westminster
- Eagle Ridge Hospital (604-469-3172) – 475 Guildford Way, Port Moody
- Langley Memorial Hospital (604-533-6405) – 22051 Fraser Highway, Langley
- Abbotsford Regional Hospital (604-851-4863) – 32900 Marshall Road, Abbotsford
- Royal Jubilee Hospital (250-727-4455 ext 1) – 1952 Bay Street, Victoria
- Dr. Azer (780-589-3989) – 10101-86 Avenue, Fort Saskatchewan
- Dr. Choupannejad (780-457-4250, F: 780-457-8569) – #2074 – 9499 137 Ave., #2018, Northgate Mall
*(This is not an exhaustive list of locations. Please verify if your local hospital offers HSG.)